Wednesday 13 November 2013

Widgets

Vienna has pigeons - Melbourne has parrots

A forecast for Melbourne sounds these days like this: It was rainy, it is rainy and it will still be rainy the next few days. It's actually summertime so we don't have a clue where the rain comes from, but we are used to changing weather in Melbourne...

So what do you do, when you come from Austria and the weather is shitty like this? Right, at first, you don't give a single fuck...but after a few days you get a little bit upset about coming to the, so-you-imagine, sunny-side-of-the-world just to find out the weather is just like at home...

The advantage of such a bad weather is that you can stay at home all day long and watch movies without a guilty conscience. So I learned a little bit about Australien History while watching a movie with Laura, my host's mother.

Red Dog is about a dog...which's red. (This is the perfect time for an "Oooohhhh" from you ;))
This dog and his story is actually known pretty well in whole Australia. The dog was a lovely friend for everyone, well-known at the communities in the hot areas in North-west of Autralia and was totally into hitchhiking! By himself...at least that's what the people say...you know, he somehow became a legend...


And the Movie is great! Haven't seen such a good film for a long time. It's emotional, it's funny, has a lot of good footage, romantic and the ending is not too hollywood-like as the movie is produced by an Australien studio.
So if you're bored by the ORF - today they send Undercover Boss at prime time - give Red Dog a try, it's free on Youtube: Red Dog Part 1

Funny movie knowledge: The dog in the movie became the main actors dog in real life! :)

After that movie, it stopped raining for some time, so we went out with the dog to a nearby park.
Did you know that most trees in Melbourne are Eucalyptus-trees? Laura showed me some of the different sorts, they all smell different (at least their leafs, I haven't put my nose into the tree's trunk)! One smelled like Baby-loof (or whatever the stuff was called, your parents rub on your back when you were a child and had a cold), another like lemongrass!

But then Laura told me the most amazing thing...there were parrots in the trees. And after starring some minutes into the Eucalyptus (you would imagine that you can see a parrot in wild nature, because of the amazing colours, but actually it isn't that easy) they flew out of the tree, so I got a glimpse of them...and they were amazingly colourful! I've been told that they are actually in every park in Melbourne...so I hope that I will have another sunny day in Melbourne so that I can stare at the trees in the parks through the viewfinder of my camera.

I don't carry my camera with me because of the bad light situation during these rainy days, so you have to stay with this cute bird at the moment. ;)

In the evening I went out again for an Evening of Werewolf. Yep, Werewolf is everywhere...
We were nearly 40 people, so it was a little bit - imagine my thumb and my forefinger 2mm apart from each other - loud. Didn't make it easier for me to understand all the (sometimes really fast) conversations during the play, but I think in the end I understood more than in the beginning. All in all it was Hardcore-english-conversation-training, try it out! (it will be easier for you unless you find some Aussies, but anyway...)

So during the night I killed Casanova (literally lovely character!), was lynched when I was the pope (yeah, we had to make up what our job is in Düsterwald, so I became the village's pope sitting next to the village's slut...obviously not too religious people in this village as I died and the slut survived...) and got to know a nice pub in St. Kilda. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment